Legacy of the Land
In the wake of the Civil War, two brothers, George and W.D. Reynolds, formed a partnership and established what would be one of the best-known ranching legacies of the West. The Reynolds family came to Texas in 1847 from Alabama and began their ranching dynasty in the open plains between Fort Worth and Breckenridge, Colorado. They adopted the X brand in 1868 and moved longhorn cattle to Colorado until drought conditions in Colorado and the defeat of hostile Indians in Texas prompted their return to Texas in 1875. Their holdings included land in Colorado, Texas property in Haskell, Shackelford, and Throckmorton Counties, and in 1895 the Reynolds brothers purchased a spread of over 380,000 acres, including the town of Kent, Texas, which included what is now known as the Rockpile Ranch.
In 1935 the X Ranch began dividing its holdings to the heirs of the two brothers, and further divisions took place in 1985. The Rockpile Ranch was passed from W.D. Reynolds to his son, John, and further down to John's daughter, Susan Reynolds Hughes. McCoy Land and Cattle, later called McCoy Remme Ranches, Ltd., purchased the Rockpile Ranch from the Hughes Cattle Company in 1992. This was only the second time the titled land had changed hands with the families.
Lawrence Clayton, the late historian of the Texas West, identified the two most famous geologic features of the Davis Mountains: Sawtooth mountain, a rugged formation jutting hundreds of feet into the air, and the Rockpile.
From the current headquarters of the Rockpile Ranch, the Rockpile itself is a few steps away, and Sawtooth mountain is in clear view just across State Highway 166, also known in West Texas as the Scenic Loop.